Thursday, September 29, 2005

Peter Sieling—MASTER BEEKEEPER


I know of two ways to achieve this highest level in Beekeeping. You can pay several thousand dollars and take a plethora of classes at Cornell University. Then in a big ceremony you receive a titanium plated smoker inscribed with your name and date (actually you just get a certificate, although I've acquired several nice three ring binders from Cornell). Or you can attend an Eastern Apicultural Society Conference, pay fifty dollars, take a test and receive the same title. Taking the Cornell route, by the time you complete the required number of classes, you’ve probably forgotten most of what you learned and they don’t really grade you. Pay the money and they’re happy. Taking the EAS quiz, you have to know the stuff, but you save a lot of time and money. I got a copy of last year’s exam for practice from Clarence Collison, the test master. If you read his monthly quiz in Bee Culture, you’ll get a good idea on how you rate. You need an 80% to pass. I squeaked by with an 81%. I could be a MASTER BEEKEEPER. Wow.

Now that I’m an unofficial MASTER BEEKEEPER, I’m ready to dispense advice to any beginner or intermediate beekeepers. Master Beekeepers are expected to teach others. So…e-mail me today at garresonlumber@hotmail.com . I can guarantee you’ll get the correct answer at least 81% of the time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Oh Wise One:

Why does my lawn attract nasty stinging flying creatures? I thought there were chipmonks living in the ground because the holes were so big. Then, I drove my lawnmower over them...and learned who was actually residing there.
Sincerely yours,
Would Like to Be Less Attractive

11:25 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

First, we'll assume your are talking about ground dwelling yellow jackets rather than killer chipmonks. Yellow jackets are meat eaters-they are beneficial and consume all kinds of nasty bugs. Dr. Tew of OSU installed a bug zapper next to a nest: It attacted everyting but the YJs. They arrived next morning and ate the dead bugs.Regarding your "Would Like to Be Less Attractive", We have a reverse makeover program here at Garreson Lumber. We can turn sex goddesses into Amazons for a modest fee—THE BEEMASTER

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Masterfull-of-it:

Should I be fearful of the carnivorous YJs? I thought it must be my sweet disposition that attracted them. Guess not.
Does your makeover program involve large pieces of wet lumber??
Let's see what you can do with NFSF first.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. Just because you are older doesn't mean you can experiment on me anymore! I'm gonna tell Mom!

NSF

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home